Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Week 3: Reading notes

Machtelt Garrels: "Introduction to Linux: A Hands-on Guide"
  • This seems like a good introduction to Linux, not too technical and easy to understand
  • I have experience with Linux as a user, but I've never done any programming or troubleshooting. Personally, I love the idea of Linux - free (as in beer and as in speech), user-developed, and versatile. I wish it were more user-friendly, and didn't have the stigma of being more appealing to programmer-types.
  • Linux has great potential - it has already been used to produce low-cost laptops and computers. It could make computers more accessible (how much of the cost of a computer comes from software and brand licensing? I'd guess a whole lot) - but it may need to become more user-friendly to make this a reality.
http://www.kernelthread.com/mac/osx/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X
  • The first article was really too technical to hold my interest. As librarians, I think it's important to understand the fundamental differences between operating systems, it terms of anticipating user preferences and problems. But this level of technicality just isn't for me.
  • That being said, I use OS X every day and enjoy doing so. I think Singh's overview did a decent job of summarizing why OS X works for him, without falling into the "Mac/PC/Linux is the best, and everything else stinks!" argument that seems so common. Rather, he emphasized that each operating system has its own strengths and weaknesses.
  • The Wikipedia article provided a decent overview of OS X. I found the screenshots of the different operating systems through time to be interesting. I admit that I still feel uneasy having wikipedia articles assigned as required reading in this program, though...

An Update on the Windows Roadmap

  • This article seems to be adressing the concerns of Windows users regarding the switch from XP to Vista. It looks like XP is still preferred by many users, and as such Microsoft will continue to offer support for it.
  • I don't use Windows - but this article reminds me of an important point. Many schools and libraries use PCs, and as a Mac user, I cannot just be ignorant of the Windows opertating system. I need to pay attention to what's happening with it, in order to provide better service to my users.

3 comments:

April M, CCLS Children's Librarian said...

I think that your last point is right on. I am a PC user and found parts of the Mac reading hard to follow, probably because I am unfamiliar with the system. I agree that I also need to know what is going on with other operating systems, not just my own so that I am prepared to be an active participant and leader in whatever position I hold, no matter the operating system. If I need to learn Linux, I will.

Jacqui Taylor said...

Your comment about the low cost (as in free beer and free speech, super lol BTW) of Linux made we wonder if it is being used as the operating system of choice on those $100 laptops that are being sent to developing countries to aid in the education of otherwise technology-poor students.

Alesha said...

I'm new to Mac, but I've considered making my next computer a Mac. I'm nervous, though, because as you said most educational facilities and library systems (at least the ones I've worked in) have solely pc products for the public to utulize. The only time schools seem to have Macs is in designated areas for design students, etc. This is one of the reasons why I was surprised that more video games were not prevelant in Mac software. With all the design aspects of Macs, you would have assumed that they would have a wider selection for gamers.